Are trying to throw the pool party of the summer? If you’re struggling with theme ideas, why not go for an “under the sea” theme which will be easy since you already have a key feature – your pool! Below is how you can create a photo backdrop with glass mesh tiles, so your guests can have a blast taking pictures together to remember the coolest event of the summer! Plus we offer other fun ideas for bring your under the sea theme to life!
Materials for photo backdrop
- Plywood board (size depends on how large you want your backdrop)
- Metallic/ Glitter paint
- You can get metallic paint by the can from your local hardwood store, as they sell different can sizes ranging from ½ pint to 5 quarts, allowing you to get only what you need.
- Glitter paint is available in 16 ounce bottles (shown above) and are widely available in craft stores
- 9” paint roller brush (for metallic paint), or a 3” paint brush (for applying glitter paint)
- Glass mesh tiles (color of your choice, however we recommend blue as shown above!)
- Sticky Jack Glue (available at Home Depot)
Paint your plywood board
- With the metallic or glitter paint color you chose for your board, apply it all over using your 9” paint roller brush (for metallic paint) or 3” paint brush (for glitter paint)
- Can also layer different colors of paint to create designs like seaweed, underwater waves, fish, or shells!
Apply glass mesh tiles
- You can apply glass mesh tiles to your painted plywood board once it is done drying.
- Use your Sticky Jack Glue to glue them to the board.
- You can cut your glass mesh tile with scissors to separate blocks off. Get creative in how you want to incorporate them onto your backdrop – perhaps you want to outline the waves with the tiles, or outline the sun and palm tree leaves with yellow and green tiles accordingly
Using glass mesh tiles in your backdrop will reflect the sun beautifully. To add on to the “under the sea” theme, consider using floating flowers for pools (or Jacuzzis if you have one), to create a lagoon setting. Have fun with this, and know that your party will be remembered!