If you’re looking for a creative gift idea that is quick, easy and inexpensive, try making your own lei! Leis make great gifts for just about any occasion, ranging from birthdays to graduations, or you can even give one to Mom to make her feel special on Mother’s Day.
What you’ll need:
- Baking cup paper in two colors or patterns
- Patterned scissors
- Transparent tape
- Round scrapbooking stickers
- Needle and thread
- Cocktail stir straws
To make a flower:
- Flatten two baking cups, one in each color or pattern. Use your patterned scissors to cut petals along the ridged section of the cups.
- Roll up a small piece of tape and use it to attach the two flowers together at the center.
- Pick out a sticker to place at the center of your flower.
To make a lei:
- Cut a 36-inch piece of thread. Pull a few inches through your needle and tie this tail end in place.
- Cut a two-inch piece of a cocktail straw; then slide it onto your thread until it is a few inches from the end. Tie this tail end just above the piece of straw to keep it in place.
- Poke your needle through the center of your first flower and string this onto the thread.
- Continue alternating between stringing on pieces of cocktail straw and your flowers until your lei is the length desired.
- Cut off any excess thread; then tie the two ends together to form your lei.