The old aphorism is true – a cluttered desk really is a telltale sign of a cluttered mind. If your desk at work or at home could use some organizing, we’ll help you get started by making your own DIY pencil holder. If you already have one, chances are having a second one wouldn’t hurt – especially if you have plenty of loose knickknacks that could use a place to call their own. Here’s what you’ll need to get started:
- an old soup can, washed and dried
- contact paper shelf liner in a print or color of your choice
- scissors or paper cutter
- embellishments of your choice, such as ribbon, scrapbooking stickers and glitter glue
What to do:
- Grab a ruler and measure the height of your soup can; then cut out a piece of contact paper shelf liner at the same length. The paper should be wide enough to wrap around the can once.
- Remove the backing and apply the contact paper to the can.
- Now for the fun part! Add any embellishments of your choice as desired. You can try wrapping a length of grosgrain or satin ribbon around the center and tying it into a bow, adding scrapbooking stickers, or creating a design using glitter glue. For a color blocking effect, try wrapping a 2-inch strip of contact paper in a bold contrasting color around the center of the can.
Your DIY pencil holder will be sure to come in handy for storing everything from your fountain pen refill cartridges to the cutlery you use for lunch. Have fun coming up with creative uses for it!