There are certain ways that you can make your home have certain touches that make it feel ultra homey. One of the best ways that you can do this is have a mail slot on your day. It can completely make the look of your home, all it takes is a few handy ideas and you’ll be set for any mail or packages you’ll ever receive.
What you’ll need
What to do
- First measure out how big your door mail slot is and mark the area around your door that you’ll be placing it on. Make sure you also marked the center of the door so you know where the center of the mail slot will go.
- Next, you need to drill starter holes in your door so you can use your jigsaw to cut through the wood.
- Use your jigsaw to cut the hole through the door and push it through once you’ve cut all along the edge that you’ve traced.
- Sand around the edges of the hole that you cut so you won’t have any jagged edges or rough spots. The last thing you want is splinters as you’re working!
- Mark the places that you’ll be placing the lug holes. Make sure that you’re being as precise as possible when it comes to this step and mark the center of where you’ll be placing the bolt fixtures (lugs).
- Drill your bolt holes, but also make sure that you know the sizes of your bolts. The directions with your mail slot.
- Drill the lug holes with a flat paddle bit that about as close to the lugs as possible. Only drill halfway through, and make sure to keep your drill level the entire time.
- Screw the bolts into the lugs then insert the mail slot. You might even have to trim the bolts if necessary if they’re too long. All you need is a small hacksaw and you’ll be set.
- Put in a fun magnetic bracelet cliup so you can tightly secure your mailbox while you’re away as well!
- Install the draft excluder to the mail slot and you’ll be set for any mail that you get!
Let us know how your next project goes along, and good luck.