Children are always tempted to draw on bare wall spaces. This leaves you with one solution which is to repaint all your walls. This can be a very costly and time consuming project. Make life easier by creating a kids chalk board for your little ones, that’ll allow them to spill their creativity on a better surface than walls. Here are some items you will need to make a chalk board.
- Flat working surface
- A sheet of plywood
- Course sandpaper
- A pair of disposable gloves
- Dark-colored aerosol primer
- Felt chalkboard eraser
What to do:
- Choose a room which has adequate ventilation and find a flat surface. Now lay the sheet of plywood on this working surface.
- Pick a piece of course sandpaper and smooth out the edges of plywood. Once you have done that, you can wipe the plywood’s surface with a damp cloth to make sure it is free from dust. Let the surface dry and place the plywood against a wall.
- Put on your disposable gloves and paint the entire surface of plywood with dark-colored aerosol primer. This will make the plywood’s surface smooth for the final coat of paint.
- You can now spray on the plywood using horizontal strokes. Allow the primer to dry completely.
- Now repeat this step but use chalkboard coating aerosol this time. Allow this coat to dry thoroughly for at least 3 days.
- Lay a piece of chalk against the chalkboard and use it to cover the whole board.
- Now erase all of the chalk with felt chalkboard eraser.
- Finally, choose a spot for your chalkboard and prop it against the wall. Your chalkboard is now ready for use.
Making a chalkboard is easy and exciting and a fun way to include your family in all your crafts. Chalkboards are available in various shapes, styles and sizes. Along with a chalkboard, you can pick a cursive alphabet chart. This will encourage your kids to write cursive letters every now and then. So, pick a nice chalkboard or make one at home and you will see that your kids are learning new thing every single day!